Buffalo chicken egg rolls are a delicious and crowd-pleasing appetizer that combines the flavors of spicy buffalo chicken and crispy egg rolls. This dish is the perfect choice for any gathering or party, as it is easy to make, can be customized to suit different tastes, and is sure to impress your guests.
The combination of buffalo chicken and egg rolls creates a unique, flavorful, spicy, and savory appetizer. The crispy exterior of the egg rolls pairs perfectly with the tender and spicy chicken filling, creating a satisfying texture and taste. Adding tangy blue cheese or ranch dressing adds a creamy element that balances out the heat of the buffalo sauce.
Ingredients: What You’ll Need to Make the Recipe
To make buffalo chicken egg rolls, you will need the following ingredients:
– Cooked chicken: You can use leftover cooked chicken or cook chicken specifically for this recipe. Shredded or diced chicken works well.
Buffalo sauce is the key ingredient in the egg rolls’ signature spicy flavor. You can use store-bought buffalo sauce or make your own.
– Egg roll wrappers: These can be found in the refrigerated section of most grocery stores. They are thin sheets of dough that are perfect for wrapping the filling.
– Celery: Chopped celery adds a fresh and crunchy element to the filling.
– Carrots: Grated carrots add sweetness and color to the filling.
– Blue cheese or ranch dressing: These dressings are classic accompaniments to buffalo chicken and add a creamy element.
Each ingredient is important in creating the perfect buffalo chicken egg rolls. The cooked chicken provides a protein-rich base for the filling, while the buffalo sauce adds heat and flavor. The celery and carrots add texture and freshness, balancing out the richness of the chicken and sauce. Finally, the blue cheese or ranch dressing adds a creamy and tangy element that complements the spicy flavors.
Step-by-Step Instructions: How to Make Buffalo Chicken Egg Rolls
1. combine the cooked chicken, buffalo sauce, celery, and carrots in a large bowl. Mix well to ensure all ingredients are evenly coated in the buffalo sauce.
2. Take an egg roll wrapper and place it on a clean surface in a diamond shape, with one corner pointing towards you. Spoon about two tablespoons of the chicken filling onto the center of the wrapper.
3. Fold the bottom corner of the wrapper up over the filling, tucking it tightly underneath. Fold in the two side corners towards the center, and then roll the wrapper away from you, sealing the egg roll with a bit of water on your fingertips.
4. Repeat this process with the remaining egg roll wrappers and filling.
5. Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet or deep fryer to 350°F (175°C). Carefully place a few egg rolls into the hot oil and fry until golden brown and crispy, about 3-4 minutes per side. Remove from the oil and drain on paper towels.
6. Serve the buffalo chicken egg rolls hot with blue cheese or ranch dressing for dipping.
Tips and Tricks: Expert Advice for Perfecting the Recipe
– Make sure to fully cook your chicken before adding it to the filling. This will ensure that it is tender and flavorful.
– Use a slotted spoon or tongs to remove the cooked egg rolls from the oil, allowing any excess fat to drain off.
– If you prefer a milder version of buffalo chicken, you can adjust the buffalo sauce used in the filling.
– To make your egg rolls extra crispy, you can double fry them. After frying them once, remove them from the oil and let them cool for a few minutes. Then, fry them again for another 2-3 minutes until they are golden brown and extra crispy.
Variations: Creative Ways to Customize Your Egg Rolls
While buffalo chicken egg rolls are delicious, there are many ways to customize the recipe to suit your taste preferences. Here are a few ideas:
– Cheese: Add some shredded cheddar or mozzarella cheese to the filling for an extra cheesy twist.
– Vegetarian: Substitute the chicken with cooked and crumbled tofu or tempeh for a vegetarian version.
– Spicier: If you like extra spicy food, add some diced jalapenos or crushed red pepper flakes to the filling.
Asian-inspired: To give the classic recipe an Asian twist, add chopped water chestnuts and green onions to the filling.
– BBQ: Swap out the buffalo sauce for your favorite BBQ sauce for a tangy and smoky flavor.
Serving Suggestions: How to Present Your Appetizer
Buffalo chicken egg rolls can be served in various ways, depending on the occasion and your preference. Here are a few serving suggestions:
– Platter: Arrange the cooked egg rolls on a platter and serve them with a side of blue cheese or ranch dressing for dipping.
– Individual servings: Place one or two egg rolls on each plate and drizzle them with some extra buffalo sauce and dressing.
– Buffet-style: Set up a buffet-style spread with egg rolls, dressings, and additional toppings like chopped green onions or crumbled blue cheese, allowing guests to build their plate.
For an extra special presentation, garnish the platter with fresh celery leaves or sprinkle chopped parsley over the egg rolls.
Pairing Options: What to Serve with Buffalo Chicken Egg Rolls
Buffalo chicken egg rolls pair well with various drinks and other appetizers. Here are a few suggestions:
Drinks: Serve the egg rolls with ice-cold beer, such as a light lager or a hoppy IPA. The beer’s crisp and refreshing flavors help balance out the egg rolls’ spiciness. If you prefer non-alcoholic options, try serving them with a citrusy soda or a refreshing iced tea.
– Other appetizers: Serve the egg rolls alongside finger foods like mozzarella sticks, jalapeno poppers, or loaded potato skins. The combination of different flavors and textures will create a well-rounded appetizer spread.
Healthier Alternatives: How to Make the Recipe Lighter
If you’re looking to make buffalo chicken egg rolls a bit healthier, there are a few modifications you can make:
– Baking: Instead of frying the egg rolls, you can bake them in the oven. Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C) and place the egg rolls on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Brush them with some oil and bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
Lighter fillings: Use lean chicken breast instead of dark meat for a lower-fat option. Add more vegetables, such as bell peppers or zucchini, to increase the nutritional value.
Light dressings: To reduce calories and fat, opt for light or reduced-fat versions of blue cheese or ranch dressing.
Make-Ahead Options: How to Prepare Your Egg Rolls in Advance
Buffalo chicken egg rolls can be prepared and stored for later use. Here are some tips for making them ahead of time:
– Filling: You can prepare the chicken filling 24 hours before storing it in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Wrapping: If you want to assemble the egg rolls beforehand, cover them with a damp paper towel or plastic wrap to prevent them from drying out.
– Freezing: If you want to freeze the egg rolls later, place them in a single layer on a baking sheet and freeze until firm. Once frozen, transfer them to a freezer-safe bag or container. When you’re ready to cook them, fry or bake them directly from frozen, adding a few extra minutes to the cooking time.
Why Buffalo Chicken Egg Rolls are a Must-Try Dish
In conclusion, buffalo chicken egg rolls are the perfect appetizer for any occasion. They are easy to make, customizable, and sure to please a crowd. The combination of spicy buffalo chicken and crispy egg roll wrappers creates a delicious and satisfying dish that will leave your guests wanting more.
Whether hosting a party or looking for a tasty snack, buffalo chicken egg rolls are a must-try recipe. So gather your ingredients, follow the step-by-step instructions, and get ready to enjoy this flavorful and addictive appetizer.
What are buffalo chicken egg rolls?
Buffalo chicken egg rolls are a popular appetizer that combines the flavors of buffalo chicken and egg rolls. They are typically made by filling egg roll wrappers with shredded chicken, buffalo sauce, cream cheese, and other ingredients, then frying or baking until crispy.
What ingredients are typically used in buffalo chicken egg rolls?
The ingredients used in buffalo chicken egg rolls can vary, but they typically include shredded chicken, buffalo sauce, cream cheese, and diced vegetables such as celery and carrots. Some recipes may also include additional spices or seasonings.
How are buffalo chicken egg rolls cooked?
Buffalo chicken egg rolls can be cooked by either frying or baking. To fry, the egg rolls are typically placed in hot oil until crispy and golden brown. To bake, brush them with oil and bake them in the oven until crispy.
What are some variations of buffalo chicken egg rolls?
There are many variations of buffalo chicken egg rolls, including using different types of cheese, adding bacon or blue cheese, or using other wrappers such as wonton or spring rolls. Some recipes also call for adding additional ingredients such as avocado or ranch dressing.
Are buffalo chicken egg rolls spicy?
Buffalo chicken egg rolls can be spicy, depending on the buffalo sauce used in the recipe. However, the level of spiciness can be adjusted to taste by using more or less buffalo sauce or adding additional spices or seasonings.